Sunday, September 28, 2008

Old Forge!

Here I am in Old Forge,NY blogging! KK and I have had this weekend get away planned to coincide with the craft fair in Remson,NY. We learned of the fair a couple years ago when we took the train ride from Utica to here. We liked Old Forge but didn't have enough time to really explore and we decided we needed to come back and spend a few days here. They told us the last weekend in Sept. is the best to see the fall foliage and they were so right! We definitely weren't disappointed! Even with the overcast skies the views are stunning! We took so many pictures but I'll have to wait until we're back home to download them.
Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate yesterday morning for the fair...it poured almost the whole time we were there! Thank goodness we had our umbrellas so we were fine. By early afternoon it started to clear up and it got quite warm.
A couple of booths were really nice but some we just passed by. I stopped at one that had some really nice homespun yarn but she only had one skein of each color and there wasn't enough yardage to do much with. She did have awesome thrummed mittens but I couldn't bring myself to spend $69 on them. A garter stitch sweater caught my eye and I must have the pattern! She didn't have it with her but I'm going to call during the week and she's going to send it to me. Her shop is only open a few evenings a week so I won't be able to go there. The sweater she had on display was done in Cashvero....I've never heard of it before so I'm going to have to check into it.
I did get a pair of fleece mittens that feel really soft and hopefully warm. I'm already having problems with the RS and it isn't even that cold yet!
Once we got to Old Forge and checked into our room we went off to look through the shops. Of course I had to go to the Hardware store and check out the yarn area! Nothing caught my eye this time. I was a bit disappointed. I enjoyed the shops and picked up a few things. Tomorrow before we leave I'm going to get a blanket. They have these really thick soft throws that will be perfect for winter TV watching in our family room.
This morning we got up early and when we walked out of our room there were 5 deer right outside our room. A few people were out taking pictures and they said the deer stay right near here all the time. They actually walk right up to you if you stand still. I fed a button buck and a couple of the does...the baby was more timid and stayed out of reach. When we came back into town this evening there they were right on Main St. in the front yard of one of the shops! The locals watch out for them as they casually stroll back and forth across the street!
Today we took a drive to Lake Placid. It wasn't what I expected...it didn't have the old comfy feel of Old Forge. The shops were more what you'd expect to find in most cities which didn't interest me. I did go into Adirondack Yarns which had a nice variety of yarns and friendly staff. Lots of sock yarn many I'm able to get locally but they had Peace Fleece which I've never seen so of course I couldn't leave without some. Another colorway caught my eye but no matter how much I try I can't remember whose it is and I left it in the car..but I got a skein of it too. So now I have my souvenir yarn!
We ate an early dinner and decided to come back to the room to relax. I knew KK was tired after all that driving even though he wouldn't admit it. I grabbed a coffee and had the pastry we got at the bakery earlier. KK drifted off and I've been knitting!
I wasn't sure if it was worth the bother to pack up the knitting bag but I'm glad I did. I'm working on the Modular Vest that's on the front of Creative Knitting. I started it the beginning of the week and right before we left finished the first block only to discover it was totally wrong! My miter was going in the wrong direction! How annoying! I think right at the beginning I marked the right side row on the wrong side which of course threw the whole thing off. One of the ladies I knit with said don't rip it we'll make it work but I couldn't stand the thought of having to fudge it, so out it came! I started it over making sure it was marked correctly this time. I'm almost done with the second block of the first piece and it's looking good!
Also otn's is a pair of annetrelac socks that are almost finished. They're another story! I had the first sock almost finished when I realized there wasn't enough yarn! No way was I taking out all that work. I ripped it back to the cuff and Kk and I went on a hunt for something that I could do the heel and toes in. The second shop had Koigu in a nice shaded brown that went well with the variegated colorway so a sock disaster avoided! Redid the heels in the brown and I'm just about to the toes on the first one and about half way down the foot on the second. Keeping my fingers crossed there's enough yarn to get to both toes!!
Another project otn is the wrap vest in Love of Knitting. It's going to be a slow knit with almost 200 sts. on 7's. It's worked in a seeded rib so it's not difficult just slow.
Almost forgot to mention last weekend was the Hemlock Fiberfest. Had a great day from the weather through the shopping! That's were I got the yarn for the wrap vest. It's a hand dyed shaded dark blue with a touch of deep purple. It's definitely a step out of the usual for me!
Right as we were leaving I took the plunge and purchased enough hand spun/dyed yarn for a cardigan! It's beautiful,and again I stepped out of my normal and picked what I'd call jewel tones. I'd like to complete a couple smaller projects before I tackle the cardigan.
I've looked at the Lantern Moon dpn's for socks but never bought any but when I saw them at the fest I decided to treat myself!! They are so smooth and so tiny....maybe I'll have to cast on using the new yarn I got today!
I'm probably forgetting something but it's getting late and I want to finish the second mitered block so
Off to knit

No comments: