Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Happy B'Day

You were my mother and my friend,
Which was unusual.
Somehow our characters still blend:
Your wisdom and my will.
Our wit.
Our love.
Our bond.

I turned, and you were there for me;
I spoke, you understood.
I felt cared for, but also free;
You loved, and I was good.

I am fortunate that I was born
To someone just like you;
I love you still. Though you are gone,
You live in what I do.

Happy Birthday Mom
January 3,1927-April 14, 1999

My first post of the new year~~to my mom. I can't take credit for the above poem I read it on Dani's blog and asked if I could "borrow" it. She found it on the web somewhere and no author was given.
It puts into words what I feel.
So often when I sit alone and knit, memories of my mom knitting and watching TV come to mind~~and the sound of clicking as the stitches flew off her needles!
I can knit gifts for my family and friends and I thank her for encouraging me and keeping me interested enough to continue on and keep learning on my own.
Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

amylovie said...

What a beautiful poem. Made me a bit teary eyed.

Amy

Susan said...

Happy New Year to you and Happy Birthday in heaven to your mom. I'm sure she knits along with you in spirit.

Dani said...

Sorry I missed your mom's bday, but I am quite glad you used the poem I found! It really is quite special, and appropriate =)

-=Dani